Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bad Theology Corrupts Good People


Richard Roberts is in deep trouble for alleged financial and personal malfeasance. He is not the first, nor will he be the last, self appointed false prophet to profit off the suffering of people. Since we are all flawed morally I cannot say that if millions of dollars were at my disposal that I wouldn't be tempted to use money not my own for things personal. But frankly my theology would make that less likely. Here's why.

First of all, my God is not a "goody tree" I shake every morning to get what I want. My God is the sovereign Lord who providentially controls all things for His own purposes and glory and not mine. Second, I am just a steward of His provision with no right to receive anything from God apart from His sovereign will. Third, my "faith" is not a power through which I can appropriate perceived wants and needs. The only object of my faith is Christ Jesus and that faith is a gift of God. Fourth, I have no inherent claim to salvation, healing, or prosperity. I only have that which by His grace God bestows freely on an undeserving sinner. Lastly, I fear God.

Richard Roberts and others of that ilk believe that God exists to give them what they need by faith. Since their faith seems to produce the desired result any financial windfall is evidence to them that they moved God. It then follows that what they produced "by faith" is for their benefit. The assumption is the guy or gal with the biggest faith should have the biggest car, house and bank account.

What produces the money isn't faith but false teaching that promises the sick, poor, and suffering that they can believe away the problems of life. Of course, when they don't get healthy, wealthy and blessed like their faith teachers the answer is always "You didn't have enough faith." This is a self fulfilling prophesy that is cyclical in nature and fraudulent in fulfullment. This leaves Richard Roberts and others richer and most everyone that listens to them poorer because they simply didn't have enough faith to move that mountain.

Faith in faith isn't Christian, it's gnostic mysticism in Jesus' name.

No comments: