Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thoughts On The Church

Most people I know don’t love the Church. I’m speaking of people who love God and who love some people, but they don’t love the Church. Many feel this way because of past hurts, broken promises, and unfulfilled expectations. Frankly, this side of heaven we should learned to expect that people will fail God; that some people if I given the chance will walk all over our hearts again and again. Yet, we are called to love those who Jesus died for, we are called to fellowship with some people we may not even like, we are called to worship every Lord’s Day with the corporate Body of Christ, and we are called to do it all, faithfully, and with a right heart, because of Jesus!

I once heard a preacher say, “I love the Church. Its people I can’t stand.” Too bad! God didn’t gather to Himself the wise, the powerful and the noble. “God chose what is foolish . . . what is weak . . . what is low and despised . . . so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, ‘Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord” (I Cor. 1:27-31).

So, before I pick up a rock to throw it at anybody, I’m reminded of the words “The seed of every sin known to man is in my heart” Robert Murray McCheyne. I not only need a Savior, I need a church where I can hear the gospel preached, where the sacraments are administered, and where good and godly elders watch over my soul.

No comments: